Re: Coax as data cable

Robert L Bass wrote:
>>I normally use the three-piece crimp-ons,
>>but I've also used twist-ons in a pinch,
>>and seen them in a lot of installations...
>

> As I said, they're in common use.  They may not be the best choice but for indoor applications, especially where the connector isn't
> expected to be handled frequently, they are acceptable.  Once I tried compression fittings I never used anything else though.

I'd love to start using those, but I don't think the boss wants to buck up for
the new crimpers or the extra connector cost, especially since the the regular
ones work "just fine".

>>In my experience, the only time I've
>>ever seen problems with twist-ons is
>>when they're installed poorly -
>>insulation not stripped back enough,
>>or stripped back too much so the
>>threads don't bite into it, etc...
>

> Also, if the outer cable jacket is too thin (Eastern Wire & Cable, for example) the connector can't get a decent hold.  I've seen
> twist-on cases where a professional installer wrapped the end of thin coax in electrical tape and then used twist-on connectors.
> After a year or two the physical connection degraded.  Usually the electrical connection was OK until anyone touched it and the
> connection was lost.

I've only ever had "fit" problems like that using FT6, but in those cases, I
just leave more of the shield braid and fold it back over the sheath, so the
threads bite them in between it and the insulation.

>>Of course, any connector type will give
>>you problems if you do a half-assed job of it.
>

> That would explain Cracker's issues.

Probably :)

>>My only real problem with twist-ons is
>>the pain in the wrists after doing any more than a half-dozen or so of them.
>

> That's what cordless screwdrivers are for.  You grip the BNC connector in the chuck, hold the prepared cable with one hand and...
> :^)

That's almost MORE work.  Actually, you could chuck a butt-end connector in
there, though, and use that as a "jig" to spin the connector...

Hmmm, I think after breakfast, I'm gonna go try that :)

>>BTW, for those connections exposed to
>>the elements, I find it handy to carry a tube of dielectric grease...
>

> One of the things I like best about modern dome cameras is the connections are all internal.

Usually works alright using environmental enclosures too, but occaisionally you
end up needing to make an outside splice or something...

>>Not much you can do about the "tire
>>iron" calls short of installing Extreme
>>CCTV domes...
>

> A customer of mine recently bought six Extreme CCTV cameras online for a private residence.  Nice stuff.

They are indeed.