Re: Kitchen LV smoke with Hush button or Heat Detector?

In line.

"DH Illinois" <dave.huber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> My house is currently equipped with 120 VAC interconnected smokes.  I
> am aware that I cannot incorporate them into my DSC panel because they
> will not work during AC outage.

Good idea.

> I plan to replace them.

Even better.  However, replacing them may not be the best solution.  You may
have install the "LV" detectors in close proximity to the existing 110VAC
ones (depending on what your AHJ has to say on the subject).

> A smoke detector is currenly adjacent to the kitchen, about 5 feet from
> a wall oven.  There is a 10 foot cieling, and there are frequent
> falses.  The smoke alarm is equipped with a hush button so there is no
> problem.
>
> Question:  is there a LV smoke available with a hush button?

Yes.  I believe Sentrol (now GESecurity) makes one.  I don't recall the part
number but I'm sure someone here will.

> would a Heat detector be more appropriate?  What is the likelihood of
> falses caused by cooking with a heat detector?

That all depends on your home's layout.  NFPA requires a smoke
detector/alarm in the vicinity of every bed or sleeping room.  Heat
detectors are best suited for kitchens, yes.

> Also,  I plan to install a heat detector in the basement near the gas
> HW heater and boiler.  Can the kitchen HD and basement be on the same
> zone, or should they be separate?

You can put them all on the same zone, but if you have the facility in your
panel to place them on seperate zones, I would.  This way, you have a means
of identifying where the alarm is originating without having to search.

> I understand from other posts that HD and Smokes should be on different
> zones.  Is this accurate?

Nope.

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.  If I have the time later on, I'll see if I can't locate the
part number of that detector from GE.  You can "scour" their site yourself.
It's located at http://www.gesecurity.com.

Regards,

Frank