Re: Garage Door Contact - Any alternatives to drilling concrete?

You can install a standard garage door contact at the top of the door.  I did it that way for years.  Using an aluminum angle
bracket, connect the magnet to the top stiffener rail of the door.  The magnet will protrude above the door edge.  Connect an Ohm
meter or (better) a continuity tester to the leads from the sensor.  Place the sensor about 6" above the magnet and slide it down
until the circuit completes.  Now move the sensor down another inch.  Mark the wall for the screws and anchors to hold the sensor.

Before you begin unplug the garage door opener so you don't get knocked off your ladder if someone hits the remote.

Before you drill the mounting holes pull the emergency release cord so that you can operate the door manually.  Hold th sensor in
place and slide the door up and down a few inches to make sure the magnet won't strike the sensor.  Next raise the door all the way
to make sure the magnet clears the ceiling.  There's rarely a problem but check first and adjust if necessary.

Mount the sensor.  Solder and tape or shrink wrap the leads.  Route the wires away from any moving parts or cables.

It's Miller time.

Following are examples of the types of sensors I have used in this manner:
GE Security 2202AU
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_84566_detailed.htm
Honeywell 958
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_3449_detailed.htm

The Honeywell (aka Ademco) model comes with the angle bracket and costs a bit less so it's a better choice for your application.

Another gentleman mentioned using a sensor that's designed to mount on the door rail.  Those work well but occasionally need to be
adjusted and retightened.  Following is an example:
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_84568_detailed.htm

There are other models around some of which cost more and some less.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics