Re: from slashdot - VoIP and Home Security Systems Don't Get Along

> VoIP and Home Security Systems Don't Get

Much of the discussion of VoIP and security systems here has
emphasized how to keep customers form selecting VoIP or how to get
them back online when the system fails.  The problem is VoIP isn't
going away.  It's not on;y here to stay.  It will likely become the
most common medium of land-line based telephone communication within a
few years.  According to at least one news report (sorry, I don't
recall the source), some telephone companies are already sending long-
distance services via VoIP.  Because VoIP is significantly less
expensive and more efficient to operate than traditional POTS service,
it is inevitable that VoIP or some derivative of it will supplant
POTS.

A few alarm companies are doing something about it.  ADT, always adept
at turning problems into profit centers, offers a cheap to install but
expensive long-term cellular option.  A number of other alarm
companies do the same.

Napco Security offers TCP/IP (Internet) monitoring.
http://www.napcosecurity.com/reporting.html

Honeywell Security (nee: Ademco) offers Alarmnet-I
http://www.security.honeywell.com/hsce/products/alarm/internet/index.html

We've had a number of DIY customers who have selected Internet
monitoring service.  However, relatively few DIY customers are
interested in monitoring service at all.  Some live in areas where
police response is so slow that the service is not attractive enough
to merit the cost.  Others have had bad experiences (slow response or
inept service) with alarm monitoring companies in the past.  Others
are simply unconvinced of the value of the service.

I take a neutral stance on monitoring.  If the customer wants the
service I provide the system and refer him to one of several
monitoring firms that I know of which are willing to work with
DIYers.  If, like most, he doesn't want monitoring, I help him select
a local alarm system that is appropriate for his needs.

Whether you offer monitoring service or not, whether you offer DIY or
full-service alarm installation, it's important to realize that VoIP
is inevitable.  The question is not how can you keep customers from
selecting it but what hardware and media solutions can you off so that
you can continue servicing the client's security needs.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass