DSC 864 or 1864

I have some questions about DSC's 864 and the new 1864.  I had an old
832 installed and am looking to upgrade to the 864.  Since DSC
released the 1864, the original 864 line is hard to find.  I've read
that the new series of panels including the 1864 has been very buggy
and already went through 1 recall.  So to the experts, what do you
advise?

1.  Should I stick with the original 864?  If so, can someone
recommend a good vendor to purchase?  And importantly ---- what
version of the panel should I be looking for, I'm guessing I should
get the last version of the 864 panel before they discontinued that
line and went with the 1864.

2.  Should I just upgrade to the new 1864?  I've read it's buggy.
Since I'm not affiliated with DSC, how would I get panel upgrades ----
I can't correct?  I've read the new panels are upgradeable, but I'm
guessing since I'm not in the biz I don't get the upgrades without
buying a new panel.  I programmed my last panel and will be
programming this one, but I'm not looking to want to deal with bugs.

Thanks everyone for your time.