Power832 problem - Need immediate help!

Hi:

Out of the blue yesterday, my Power832 alarm system started beeping with
the trouble light on.  If I hit a key, the beeping stops for a little
while, but starts again.  This system is NOT monitored.  It has worked
fine for years without the beeping problem.  *2 yields the "1" and "4"
lights lit up.  I don't think the "4" is relevant, since it's been on
for years ever since I played with having the system call my cell in
pager mode.  The monitoring is now disabled (section 380, first light is
off), however, I never bothered to clear the trouble light (I don't know
how to get rid of it and the light never really bothered me until now).

Of course my hand is forced now, since I can't live with this beeping.
I'd just disable the entire system until I figure this out, but my
thermostat is driven by the system through an Escort add-in controller
and it's very cold outside.

I believe the problem is with the Escort, or the thermostat, since
whenever the beeping starts, the thermostat "reboots" (or something) and
all X-10 lights in the house go off.

Advice needed urgently, thank you for any help at all.  At a minimum, I
need to know how to power down the system properly (maybe it's as simple
as flipping the breaker and disconnecting the battery).

Thanks.