Re: A little vent

On Dec 11, 3:17 pm, "Nick Markowitz Jr." <nick-markow...@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> This is why i do not work in the residential market they will fuck you every
> time the only reason they got the alarm is becuse the insurance comapny said
> they have to have it and after the insurance company is happy they never use
> it.
> and besides since the big companys did the whole free thing why should we
> charge for service. you can keep the fucking residential market and the
> freebies and all the horse shit which goes with it."ABLE_1" <royboynos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > Last week a customer that I had installed a system in his newly built
> > house back in 2002 (5 Years ago) called and said he would like to get the
> > system set up for monitoring.  Said his wife is pregnant and they decided
> > it would be good to start using the system now that the baby is on the
> > way.  He went on to say that they have not ever used the system since it
> > was installed.
>
> > I had him arm the system and to trip the alarm just make sure things
> > worked while he was on the phone.  Just wanted to see if he remembered his
> > code. He did and it didn't trip.  Neither a door or a motion.  So I said
> > that I would try and connect to the system and check the program and
> > history to see if there was a problem.
>
> > I tried to connect later and the panel would not pick up.   So I called
> > him direct to see if he could help with the connect.  That is when he
> > informed me that he no longer has a landline.  He has VONAGE *&^&^%*#.
> > So I said well I will have to come out next week and see what is going on
> > and come up with some other options for the monitoring.
>
> > Today I called and said that I would have the time today to stop out and
> > check the system.  He says he will be home and it would be ok.
>
> > Then he says.  Is there going to be a charge for this????????
>
> > When I said YES!!  Well we haven't used the system in 5 years I don't see
> > why there should be a problem.  Well don't bother coming out then.
>
> > I said well if you bought a brand new car and left it sit in a garage for
> > 5 years and didn't run it would you think it was going to start???
>
> > He says Yes I would think so.
>
> > I said well it won't since the battery is dead and the gas has turned to
> > sludge and the tires are dry rotted.
>
> > What is it with some people?????
>
> > I wrote this for a couple of reasons.  First: To get it out of my system.
> > Second: For all the alarm guys here to read, smile, and shake there heads.
> > Third: For those home owners that come here and hopefully will have a
> > little better understanding of REALITY.
>
> > Ok, vent over.  You may now return to your regular scheduled program.
>
> > Les

RHC: Nick, I have found the opposite is quite true ! Notwithstanding
the odd, inevitable cheapskate, I have found that residential
customers are far easier to deal with overall. Most clients value your
services and are willing to pay a reasonable price to keep their
alarms working and properly monitored. However, businesses are quite
another matter. While they pay, they also require a huge amount of
"overhead". Usually no one in the business feels responsibility for
the alarm, and as such, there is little  onus to keep the calling list
accurate; no interest in ensuring proper training of users, and no
interest in checking the alarm to make sure it is working properly
(other than the inevitable service call five minutes before closing
just before a long holiday). Plus, large businesses are always
physically changing things around which necessitates additional
service work (work which is paid for yes, but which also keeps you
away from more profitable work like new installs to increase your
revenue base). As well, residential "takeovers" can be a lucrative
source of additional revenue, since these people are usually coming
from the uncaring, faceless Borg, and now being treated as actual
people rather than a "contractual revenue opportunity" is a real
breath of fresh air for most of them.

For some time, I have been trying to divest myself of all my
commercial accounts and have successfully done so with the exception
of about 20 odd. Life is much easier now for us, and the business also
runs much more smoothly.

But I do feel for you with the kinds of cheapskate customers you
describe !!  Before I do anything with new clients, I usually have
some detailed discussions about pricing with them, long before I ever
drive out to see them. It's usually not hard to tell upfront if they
are looking for something for nothing. After some upfront rough
estimates, I usually direct them to go up to my website where all my
detailed pricing is front and centre for them to see. Most come back
for the work to be done, and the ones that don't are the ones who are
inevitably looking for "low up front, long term, high priced
contractual monthly", which I never do, and which never will be in my
business model !

I believe a lot of it is how you approach it ! I don't feel any
competitive pressures at all, since I am the only one selling my way
in my particular market niche. So I can afford to take lots of time to
talk to potential clients and weed out those who should be going to
the Borg or other companies of that type. If they do decide to go with
the "freeby" approach, I usually guide them to reputable companies I
know who sell that way, and away from the Alarmforce "scammers" and
the overpriced ADT type of companies. And I can say that at least I
have helped the client to find the market niche he wishes to buy in,
and as a result, he usually refers other friends and relatives my way.
They know they won't get the hard sell !!

It isn't perfect, but it works for me. And I simply refuse to deal
with businesses at all !! But I guess we all have to find our
"niche".....