A little vent

Last week a customer that I had installed a system in his newly built house
back in 2002 (5 Years ago) called and said he would like to get the system
set up for monitoring.  Said his wife is pregnant and they decided it would
be good to start using the system now that the baby is on the way.  He went
on to say that they have not ever used the system since it was installed.

I had him arm the system and to trip the alarm just make sure things worked
while he was on the phone.  Just wanted to see if he remembered his code.
He did and it didn't trip.  Neither a door or a motion.  So I said that I
would try and connect to the system and check the program and history to see
if there was a problem.

I tried to connect later and the panel would not pick up.   So I called him
direct to see if he could help with the connect.  That is when he informed
me that he no longer has a landline.  He has VONAGE *&^&^%*#.   So I said
well I will have to come out next week and see what is going on and come up
with some other options for the monitoring.

Today I called and said that I would have the time today to stop out and
check the system.  He says he will be home and it would be ok.

Then he says.  Is there going to be a charge for this????????

When I said YES!!  Well we haven't used the system in 5 years I don't see
why there should be a problem.  Well don't bother coming out then.

I said well if you bought a brand new car and left it sit in a garage for 5
years and didn't run it would you think it was going to start???

He says Yes I would think so.

I said well it won't since the battery is dead and the gas has turned to
sludge and the tires are dry rotted.

What is it with some people?????

I wrote this for a couple of reasons.  First: To get it out of my system.
Second: For all the alarm guys here to read, smile, and shake there heads.
Third: For those home owners that come here and hopefully will have a little
better understanding of REALITY.

Ok, vent over.  You may now return to your regular scheduled program.

Les