Re: Residential 110v Smoke conversion to 12vdc

ABLE_1 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking for some comments and thoughts (of the good kind) on the following.
>
> Let's say a customer has a 3 year old house with 110 volt Battery BackUp
> smokes that are interconnected as per proper building code.
>
> Let's say getting wire to the second floor is a "Major PITA".
>
> Would you guys(gals if it applies) consider removing the smokes, pulling the
> 14/3 romex from the breaker panel and re-wire to an alarm panel with 12volt
> P/E smokes with sounders and a voltage reversal relay to get the audible in
> the bedrooms??
>
> I know that may be a mouthful, but, I would assume you get the idea.
>
> 1) Have you ever done this??
> 2) Would you ever do this and for what reason??
> 3) Do you think a AHJ would have a hissy fit it they found out??
> 4) What liability issues do you see??
> 5) Besides the "Romex" not being rated FLP what else could go wrong??
>
> Thanks in advance to all that respond.
>
> I will sit back now and read the input.
>
> Les

Don't mess with the connection to the existing smokes.  Save yourself a
pile of grief and go for wireless units.  Yes, you'll have to replace
batteries, but that's a small price to pay.  You won't have the headache
and you'll meet all the current code requirements.  As for sounders for
the bedrooms, a nice loud siren in the cold air return usually does
wonders.  Another alternative is to wire in a compatible relay to the
main level smoke and interconnect that to your alarm panel.  NFPA does
allow this.  I would still recommend the wireless supervised smokes as
well (to augment the AC ones).