Re: 110 VAC Fire Alarms

Roland Moore wrote:
> A hundred bucks for that kind of potential liability? If there isn't a lot
> more business to be had I say RUN AWAY!

I agree but not strictly from the liability standpoint.  I don't think
you're exposing yourself to any kind of "potential liability" for
properly completing the suggested test form (or the one your local AHJ
provides).  Where "liability" comes into play is when you've tagged off
on something as "meeting spec" and it can be demonstrated that it
doesn't (negligence).  It is suggested (some would use the word
"mandatory") that you maintain an insurance policy that covers you for
general liability as well as exposure to the risks specific to your line
of work.  In many jurisdictions you have to provide proof of coverage
before you are awarded the contract.

You really have to cover your expenses and put a few shekels aside
(called profit), or the whole exercise isn't worth it.  $100.00 for an
inspection is ludicrously low.  I wouldn't even roll a truck unless my
man was "covered" by a minimum two hour charge.  At $65.00 an hour,
that's $130.00 just to get his body on site.  Then there's the hour it
will take him to complete the paperwork, materials (canned smoke, etc.).
  Even $200.00 is on the "light side" and I would only do it for that
amount if the customer was a "regular" with multiple buildings (of
similar construction and layout) which we already serviced.