Re: Stupid question

news:b5ee9742-5b1e-4150-9296-394940ce3dce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Dec 5, 12:10?pm, "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suppose it should be N.O., but I frequently see NO or NC.
>
> Then I always have the question with things like relays, what is normal?
> Is
> it normal for the relay to be energized? Or not energized?
In relays you will have.

Single Pole Normally Open
Single Pole Normally Closed
Double Pole Normally Open
Double Pole Normally Closed
etc. etc.

When energized the relay contacts will change state to the opposite of what
it was at rest.

In industrial wiring you have switches that are either of the following.

Normally Closed

Normally Open

Normally Open Held Closed

Normally Closed Held Open

In the alarm industry it is thought of as an OPEN Loop or a CLOSED Loop.

Wiring colors for an electrician is mostly Black is Hot, White is Neutral
and Green is Ground.  Any other color is considered to be Hot.

The phone guy uses Green for TIP and RED for Ring unless it is twisted pair
then it is  White w/ Blue strip as TIP and Blue w/ White strip as Ring for
the first pair and then on Orange, Green, Brown, Slate to ID the other
colors.

Alarm guys us RED as Positive and Black as Negative for power unless it is a
current limiting circuit for a zone then it can be many other things.
Generally is it Red/Black for first pair, Green/White for second pair,
Blue/Brown for third pair, Yellow/Orange for the forth
pair................................  then I start to lose my
brain...............................

THEN you have the guy that thought he was a homebrew electrician that is now
doing alarms and only buys telephone station wire for all his jobs because
it is very cheap.

He ends up using Black for positive and Yellow for negative and the Red and
Green for the motion zone loop.

If you have worked in multi-professions it can all be rather mind-bending.
REALLY!!!!

They are coming to take me away Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee

Have a good day all.

Les