Re: Thorn Autocall

There are so many things that can cause this they are too numerous to
mention.
What you are looking for as a trouble could be tempered by the age of the
system. Meaning is this a fairly new installation or has it been in and
working for a while?
I guess the first thing to ask is what have you eliminated as a source of
trouble?
All of the standard ones? No grounds, opens, shorts, inductances? If it is a
recent installation you could check to see if the wire itself is in spec?
Many analog systems carry a heavy wire spec. Many want low capacitance.
It is not uncommon for a bad module to cause many of the problems you
describe. In many cases it is NOT actually the module that is reporting the
trouble. You have to use a divide and conquer troubleshooting technique to
find it. It can be time consuming and frustrating.
A problem like this stands out in my mind. A fire alarm system for a new
grocery store (a major chain store). We were trying to get the system up and
running at the eleventh hour because the customer had accelerated the
opening by two weeks. We had about 15 technicians on site trying to figure
out what was wrong. It turned out to be the fire alarm wire itself was
defective. There was a bad wire run on a certain date and time and since
this was a bulk wire order, we ended up with most of it. Lucky us. The store
was opened on time and the wire manufacturer paid us for time, trouble, lost
profit etc. Sometimes the solution is a one off strange problem like this,
but most of the time it isn't. You may pull a rabbit out of a hat by
checking this and guessing that. In the long run I think that making a list
and working down the list makes more sense.