Re: I gotta get into retail...

> My uncle has an extensive collection of
> antique glass and porcelain insulators
> from old telegraph lines... maybe I should
> try those.

Actually, I first saw these at the Las Vegas
CES show quite a few years ago.  I picked
one up and it was just an insulator for high
tension electric lines.  The company had
ground a concave slot in the top to hold
the wires in place.  They were asking for
something like $350 for a set of six or eight.

Here's another one.  A security client of
mine back in CT bought a used pair of
Marin-Logan speakers from a store in
Hartford.  I was installing the alarm in his
F.L. Wright home (one of a very few in the
area).  The speakers had been sorely
abused.  The previous owner had ruined
the woofers.  He asked me what I thought
and, ever the diplomat, I said they sounded
like s**t.  I told him they needed new
drivers.

The guy went down to the Stereo Shop
(actual name) on Farmington Ave with
these ruined speakers, asking for a refund.
Instead they sold him a pair of new speaker
cables the size of garden hoses.  The next
day I came in to finish the alarm installation
and the guy was sitting there listening to
his crappy sounding, beat up speakers with
$800 cables connected to them.  He asked
if I didn't think the speakers sounded more
"open".  Phlbbbt!

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass