Re: Occupancy and Security PIR - Suggestions?

> I'm looking for suggestions on PIR's for
> occupancy and security.
>
> Robert has already suggested the locations
> marked on the drawing. Napco PIR1680's
> on the inside, and Paradox DG85's on the
> outside and patio.

I've used lots of DG85's and they work well.

> Would the PIR1680's be a good choice for
> the bathrooms, too? Maybe a Paradox 460
> would be a better choice, right above the door?

The 460 is OK for occupancy sensing but
IMO it's a little too hot for security.  I've had
reports of them falsing more than others.

> Instead of the 1680's, I was thinking about
> the DG75's. Draw about half the current of
> the 1680's. But, the lookdown on the 1680
> might work better for the halls.  We normally
> keep the interior doors open...

I chose the 1680's over the DG75's specifically
for their lookdown zones.  I didn't suggest
bathroom PIR's.  I prefer to bug the doors.
I also try to avoid using motion detectors in
bathrooms due to humidity issues.

You could use the Visonic SPY1 motiion detectors
for baths.  They mount into the ceiling and can
be sealed against moisture.  There's only a small
disk showing inside the room.  The guts of the
detector are in the wall or ceiling.

If you use the 460's for bathroom occupancy,
consider not programming them as alarm sensors.
The ELK can use them to turn on lights and/or
bathroom fans but ignore them for alarms.
They cost less than the SPY series detectors.

> I'm concerned with somebody walking down the
> hall triggering the PIR's in the bedrooms. Is that
> a reasonable concern that can be addressed by
> adjusting the sensitivity?

You can aim the bedroom PIR's so coverage stops
just inside the doors.  Another option is to use
SPY1 detectors inside the bedroom doors as well.
I wouldn't use 460's there because you'll want the
bedroom motions to serve as alarm inputs as well.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics