Re: New House Alarm - Am I locked out?

"Frank Olson" <Use-the-email-links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:CtpVh.92158$6m4.30715@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> jasonextras@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hello all.  I recently purchased a 7 year old home that has a built-in
>> alarm system.  The previous owner chose to purchase the unit as part
>> of the then-new home's price rather than lease, but when he had the
>> monitoring turned off prior to sale it looks like they locked the
>> board.  They used a First Alert FA147c panel and a fixed word keypad.
>> It permanently displays "dl" on the display, which according to the
>> manual means the system is disabled.  No notices for zone trips are
>> provided and the motion sensors are shut down.  I cycled the power and
>> used both * and # methods to try to retrieve the installer code, but
>> #20 makes the system display "EE" on the keypad.
>>
>> It appears I'm locked out and the system is permanently disabled.
>> Does anyone have any experience with this board to know if this is the
>> case for sure?  If it is locked, what are my options?  Can I swap
>> boards with a Vista 10SE and keep my sensors as they are, or do I have
>> to ditch everything and start over?  A drop-in FA147c replacement has
>> proven impossible to locate, and even then I'd have to procure a Alpha
>> keypad to program it.  I'd just like to be able to use this alarm
>> locally without a monitoring service.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> If you own the equipment, call the servicing company and tell them to
> unlock the board and program it as a "local" for you and restore the
> installer code to "default".

They should be willing to do that for the price of a service call.  Remember
they have no obligation to you (you did not buy it from them afterall) and
can't be expected to work for free.  Some companies may do it for you, but
most will atleast insist you pay for a service call.  I also would not
totally trust what the previous homeowner told you about the status of the
system.  People don't always tell the whole truth.  Not saying htis is the
case, but I never take anythig at face value anymore.

--
Sincerly,
The guy who makes the final decision on who we buy from.

The Security Consultant
Bob La Londe - Owner
P.O. Box 5720
Yuma, Az 85366