PC5010 - LCD-5501Z: Constant trouble light and beep on install

I've searched the forum, but have been unable to find anyone with a
similar situation to mine.  I've completed wiring a Power 832 system,
purchased from ebay (mistake?).  This is the 3rd similar system a
friend and I have installed and set-up (other 2 were Power 632 - and
had no issues).  On initial power up, the keypad showed the time
"12:00", but after ~ 20-30 seconds, the trouble light comes on, and the
keypad emits a constant beeping, and is unresponsive to any keystrokes.
 If I try entering programming mode before the initial 20-30 seconds, I
can only enter 5 keystrokes before it becomes unresponsive.  For
example, if I try to enter programming mode, I can press *8 555 then it
goes dead.  Pressing *2 on initial power up does nothing.  I've tried a
hardware reset (power down, short PGM1 and Zone1, power up - key
sequence as per manual), but nothing happens.  As per this forum, I've
tried # 1 (holding them 3 seconds) thinking maybe the keypad was
assigned as global or on partition 2, but again, this does not work.  I
can still only enter 5 keystrokes after doing the # 1 sequence.  For
background, after the initial wiring, when I turned it on, the siren
also sounded when the trouble light was on.  I started disconnecting
components until I had only the keypad on.  Still the same problem.
I've also tried a second LCD-5501Z keypad, with the same result.  I'm
starting the think I've got a 'DOA' PC5010 board.  Any help reviving it
would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Dan.