Re: RF Immunity in Smoke Detectors

Just a follow up for anyone who was curious.  I visited the premises and
found the customer was able to trip the zone the smoke detector was on
when tranmistting on either 3.8 MHz or 21 MHz (running about 700 watts).
  Interestingly when he did this the siren on the system sounded but not
the piezo on the smoke detector (leading me to believe he is not
tripping the detector just the zone)

I pulled the detector off the mount and found the customer had installed
a snap on ferrite around the wires.  Went to the panel and found he had
also put a ferrite around the telephone line (about the only wiring that
was accessible without opening the panel).  I moved that ferrite on to
the pair running into the zone being tripped and we ran a test.

No more problems at 21 MHz but he was still able to trip it at 3.8MHz.
So I took my mother's approach to cooking ("If a little makes it good -
a lot will make it better") and installed a 2nd ferrite that I had
happened to bring along.  Voila - no more problem - I told him to spend
the weekend trying to make it trip and went home.  Almost a week later
and I haven't heard from him.

So the lesson learned is - RFI Problems are easily solved with Ferrites!

The ferrites he had are from DX Engineering
(http://www.dxengineering.com/TechArticles.asp?ID={54C2338D-3ED0-48C3-946F-F343A5C7555D}