Re: system to learn on ?

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:tM2dnXTAhbYUpdzYnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> You could be misled here because these folks are mostly professionals and
> jealously guard their turf.

No one knows where this guy is from, so jealously guarding turf is not an
issue. There are definately some handy individuals but everyone's
capabilities are much different. Some may have a great interest in alarm
systems but don't which end of a screwdriver to use. To just arbitrarily
start instucting someone over the internet or telephone on installing
personal and/or life safety equipment is very very wrong, regardless of your
personal view point. Granted there are those online companies that sell
equipment, but that is all they are doing. They sell equipment, they do not
sell security.

> Here is my suggestion (I am a do-it-your-selfer that was forced to be so
by
> the crappy treatment I received by the PROs)

A Pro or Pros. How many times did you have professional alarm companies
install and service you? My guess is you had a (one) bad experience. And
whom may that have been. You can easily find, right here, who to avoid. Your
statement is hardly fair to a 140 year old industry with over 4000
legitimate alarm companys in the US.

> http://www.homesecuritystore.com/
>
> If you buy a system from the above, they will hand-hold you via email and
> you will learn a lot!  That was my experience.

Again, not for everyone. I will guarantee you, remembering some of your
post, considering your time, you probably have, many times more dollars
invested, than if you had a pro do it. And unfortunately, if it should ever
fail and something tragic happens, who in the family will question, "would
this have happened if a pro did it?"