Re: contact window

"Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1161838512.951261.240440@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Don wrote:
>> grassy ass, ameego
>>
>> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >but what the hell.>
>
> You're welcome. When you actually get into it, if you run into any
> problems, let me know.
>
> By the way, in spite of what DMW Bass says. This works just fine.

Unless, of course, you mind splitting the wood on your new windows.  Where Jiminex erred is he didn't measure.  If there were more
wood his idea would be fine.

> --- snip personal attack ---

Feel free to browse my website.  It contains tons of information supplied by manufacturers -- just like every other online store
selling alarms and home automation to DIYers.  You'll notice that I made no reference to trying to sell anything to the gentleman.
I gave the gentleman advice based on my nearly 30 years in the industry, most of it owning and operating a small alarm company.

> To anyone who's actually wired some of
> these new windows it's quite obvious that
> his attempeted criticism of my method is
> steeped in ingorance of how windows are
> built nowdays and what kind of hardware
> is available and how to use it.

Actually, I didn't criticize your method, which in many cases would be excellent.  It is the application of the method for this
particular window design that I question.  If you take measurements of the window, extrapolated from the information provided by the
manufacturer, you will see your error.  Whether you will admit it is another matter but that is of no concern to the OP.  He only
wants to know how to protect his home and I seriusly doubt he cares about our personal dislike for ech other.

> Now really ..... who has seen a recently
> designed window, especially a tilt out, with
> "strings" on them?

I wasn't referring to tilt-in (they don't dilt out) windows in the aside about counter balances.  That was generic information.

> Drilling a 1/4 inch deep hole in the front surface
> of the sash will void the warrantee???

No, but breaking off the bottom of the wood may do so.  Based on the manufacturer's diagram it appears there's not enough wood there
to accomodate the magnet.  I suggest an alternate method which avoids the hazard.

> but breaking off a flange meant to be a weather
> seal wont???????

Nope.  I've done it that way countless times over many years and have never had an issue with a manufacturer yet.  Splinter off part
of the sash and I can guaranty the manufacturer won't help you.

> He made copies of the drawings and measured
> them with a micrometer

Yep.  I printed it and measured it.  Amazing what you can do with a PC these days.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics