Re: RF Immunity in Smoke Detectors

I have battled RF problems for years. I have installed more > 1uH chokes
than I care to mention. Since Y2K I  have only had my ass eaten alive by
RF/EMI on a DSC 4020 AML loop with fire. The only thing I can say is if
you're trying to trouble shoot the problem and you're convinced it is RF/EMI
related you're pretty much pissing up a rope without a properly scaled
OSCILLOSCOPE and an engineer that knows how to read it. The System Sensor
smoke you mention seems to be end of life. I would try to talk to my factory
rep for what ever replacement brand you pick and put them on the spot to see
if they will put their money where their mouth is. Tell them you have an
installation that needs to be RF proof and see if they will bite and promise
(in writing) to send a (real) engineer to fix their product if it fails in
that environment (and MOST IMPORTANTLY PAY YOU FOR YOUR TIME SPENT). I can't
tell you what happened with DSC officially but I can say that it got fixed
and DSC did the right thing (a.k.a. hush up).