Setup for Ademco Vista 20P and 4286 VIP module

Hello All,

    Does anyone know what has to be done as far as programming the VISTA 20P
control panel for the Ademco 4286 VIP voice module? It says I have to set up
a phone code using device programming and that it is hardwired to address 4
but thats about it. What the heck is device programming? Do I go into zone
programming mode,  select zone 4? If so what codes do I put in?

    I am also somewhat confused about the wiring. My understanding of phone
wiring is that the red/green wires are for line 1 and the yellow and black
are for power to phones that need it but can be used for a second line
instead. The docs for the VIP talk about gray and brown lines from a RJ31X
going to terminals 3 and 4 on the VIP terminal strip connector. What for? Do
I really need this RJ31X?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Bob