Re: Suggest for placement of ADT/Ademco wireless window sensors

On 14 Oct 2006 00:39:33 -0700, canyonblue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>wow, just wow.

Exactly my thought when I read your THREE posts.

>not quite the answer i was expecting. because i *value* my new home,
>and my family i have done quite a bit of research, yes, including
>getting quotes and professional opinions from several alarm companies,
>including major nationals as well as independent companies. because of
>the nature of my windows a wireless install is called for, yet
>significant hurdles remain and all the alarms companies i spoke with
>have been less than clear how their wireless soultions will be mounted
>to attempt to preserve the look of the window since i have a particular
>kind of blind. since i am concerned, and rightfully so based on posts
>in this very forum, that some installers will "lick 'em and stick 'em"
>when they show to my house i would like to be prepared with reasonable
>suggests from experienced folks if their suggestions aren't superior. I
>am afterall the home owner and customer.

Okay, that's reasonable.  I just got the feeling from the tone of your
posts that you were going to be telling the installer how do his job.

I have two suggestions for the windows.  First, I don't know if you're
aware that there is a separate contact point inside the 5816
transmitter that will allow an external window contact to be used.  So
in x-mitter can be mounted below the sill, or somewhere else out or
the way and just run a short jumper to mini-mag contacts that will
actually go on the windows.  Second, if the internal contact is to be
used and you lack a small amount of clearance for the blinds there is
a low profile transmitter available, PN 5816MN.

>will i follow them around? no. will i be open to their professional
>opinions and suggests... yes. will i be involved and understand the
>logic of every details of my extensive security system, ie. placement,
>operations, aestitics etc. ... you bet!

That is good... and rare actually.  Hopefully you don't get a 'dud'
installer.  If you do --politely excuse him and call the installation
manager to get someone you feel comfortable with.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)