Re: Trade mags, websites, other resources for newbie tech

jay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just getting started in the trade (as a tech) and I have been
> reading back posts here - only 21,000 more to go!
>
> I'd like to get some opinions (danger Will Robinson, danger) on
> several areas of the trade.
>
> 1.  Trade Magazines (not to learn nitty gritty but for overview/new
> products & technologies)
>
> I signed up for the following and have listed them in my current order
> of preference:
> Security Dealer
> Security Products
> SDM
> Security Sales & Integration
> Security Technology & Design
> Security Systems News  (seems to be more  business than tech)
>
> Are there others that I should be looking at?  Are any of the above
> known to pander to advertisers?
>
> 2.  Websites
> I just found the forum at http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ and am
> downloading the DSC and Visonic manuals to look over.
>
> What other websites are good?
>
> 3.  Of all the brands and makes out there, which ones should a new
> tech learn/look at first. I'm a bit confused who owns/recently bought
> who.   I'm in Southern Nevada if region matters.
>
> DSC
> Visonic
> Ademco
> Caddx
> Linear
> ITI
> GE
> Honeywell
> others?

You might want to try CE Pro Magazine.

Quite diversified. In addition to alarms .... it covers some of the
other
related tech items having to to with audio, video, communications, LAN
wiring, home automation.

Although considered by many here to be difficult to program, Napco is
just about
the most versatile panel available. The difficulty in programing only
applies if you
don't use a laptop to program. With a laptop it's real easy but keypad
programing
is a real bear.