Re: store system w 4-8 cameras ?

"Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:IKGUg.25360$DU3.18069@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> UL listing on DVRs? None of what you posted on UL DVRs ever crossed my
mind.
> I can't quite figure under what conditions a local inspector would have
> cause to be sniffing a DVR for its UL certification versus plain old
> computer UL sticker.

And you know what, as long as they see a sticker they are probably
satisfied.

 I haven't met one that would know the difference
> anyway.

Welcome to like in south Florida.

>It is not like a fire system inspection for a CO where you have to
> call them out and give them all the cut sheets in advance. If you have an
> inspection environment that is that brutal where you have to do submitals
> for DVRs I feel sorry for you.

No submittals. The attorney general, here in Florida, now running for
governor, made it illegal, after 9-11 for any municipality to require
anything on security that would be made public record. However, we do need
to pull an installation permit and get 2 inspections. One rough and one
final. At the final, they naturally look at the equipment. NEC requires that
all conductors and equipment "shall" be approved for its intended use. They
are rejecting cameras as well. For those that use them, there goes the
$29.95  camera off the internet. Depending on where the wire is run, the
rating on the wire must also meet the approval for its location, ie; plenum
wire in a plenum ceiling, riser rated wire in a riser etc.

 I tried to check on this UL deal from one
> manufaturer at the low end. General Solutions freely admitted their DVR
> units weren't UL, but assured me that theirs would soon carry the UL
> sticker.

The fact that they are getting it approved tells you something. If it wasn't
being required or they didn't get questioned on it, why would they spend the
money? As expensive as it is, I am sure it is not out of the goodness of
their heart. It isn't cheap to get something listed and then maintain the
listing. I am sure it will show up in the price tag of the unit after it is
listed.

> I didn't ask him, but what is the number they put on the UL sticker
> for a DVR anyway?  I never bothered to look at one to see.

I don't know if this helps or not but  the number right under the UL listed
sticker, on the one I have in the office, is:   6   03064 80348   0

 At the high end
> there are COTS systems that are never intended to be complete box
solutions
> so there is no UL there. Even ones that are purpose built  like Intellex
> have an archive manager program to off load video to non DVR UL locations.
> Bosch has an iSCSI drive array from NexSan and now Promise I think that
> couldn't be part of the UL listing for the box itself. I am going to
> continue to work my way up the food chain price wise and see what stories
> get handed from the manufacturers on this UL thing.
> This is most interesting. Thanks for the post.

It could be nothing more than in areas, that have tough inspection regs, are
giving them and the dealers heartburn. The only thing is that the NEC
requires listings and these inspectors sit on the toilet digesting
everything in their bible. They may not know what they are looking at, which
is sometimes the real problem, but they sure do know the code. They do have,
through the code, the ability to make their own judgement calls in specific
situations, waiving the code requirements, but try to get them to do it.