Re: Use ADT system with no monitoring company?

Tony Sivori wrote:
> I'm buying a house that has an ADT system installed. Pretty basic system,
> just the front, back, and basement door, plus one motion detector.

What's the equipment manufacturer?

> The house is a repo, so I won't be getting any codes from the previous
> owner.
>
> I've Googled, and seen that an ADT system can often be reused with another
> monitoring company. Presumably one with better service and perhaps even
> better price.
>
> But I'd like to go an even cheaper route, and have the alarm call my cell
> phone. Is this possible, and if so how much might an alarm company charge
> to set up the system to call my own cell phone?

That's do-able on some systems.  We'd need more information to be able
to answer that question.  There are limitations you should be aware of.
  Most alarms with a "pager response" feature will only transmit the
alarm once.  There's no way for the panel to know that you actually
received your page (or cell phone message).  If you happen to be in an
area with "iffy" coverage, you could wind up missing the call.  This
will be of no use to you if your house happens to be on fire...