Re: OT-Just when you think it couldn't get any worse

> Seems to me maybe the point has been missed.
> Drug addiction is considered a disease...

You would know.

> The fellows in the jailhouse probably wanted to
> stay on the methadone indefinitely during the
> stay, but they may have a point.

They do.  It was an inappropriate (and probably criminal) act for them to cut prisoners off from prescribed medication.

> Detoxifying off narcotics is extremely dangerous
> from what I read, and if someone is locked up
> with no access to decent healthcare (or the illicit
> drug) the consequences can be fatal.

Having worked as a volunteer with a drug treatment facility, I can confirm that.  Years ago, addicts inducted into most such
facilities hads to quit "cold turkey".  It was extremely difficult, painful and sometimes dangerous.  In the last 25 years or so,
the procedures have changed as medical understanding of addiction has gotten better.  Now addicts are sent to "detox" in a hospital
or clinic before entering long term treatment.

> There is a huge stigma attached to addiction
> in general...

That is true, but in your case the ill will is of your own making.  It has nothing to do with your addiction.

> Whether the substance is food, alcohol, prescription
> drugs, or illicit chemicals.  There generally is  no
> sympathy for the substance abuser for folks that are
> not educated on the subject...

If you weren't such an obnoxious jerk I'd be more sympathetic to you.  That is partly because I spent a long time helping other
addicts so I understand the difficulty of your disease.

> Many 'normal' people see addiction as weakness or
> lack of willpower when judging the addict...

Doin't worry.  There are very few normal people hanging around this newsgroup.  In fact, many here display an addiction to the
newsgroup itself.

> What is needed in the system is rehabilitation
> rather than punishment for the addicts...

True indeed.  If you ever get serious about getting off drugs and alcohol and STAYING off of them, give me a call.  I can refer you
to an organisation in Texas that can help you.  As much as I dislike you for your repugnant behavior, I'd still help you if you want
to seek real help.

> The Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" thing was a
> joke....

Heh, imagine some mainline junky boiling his fix in a spoon.  The TV is on and here comes Nancy saying, "Just say 'no'".  The junky
stops right there, slaps his forehead, says, "Jeez, why didn't I think of that," and quits on the spot.  Ridiculous!

> I am a firm believer that each generation is
> smarter than the prior, it's evolution.

Imagine what that implies about the Sabodish's great grandparents. :^)

> If we citizens ignore the drug problem and
> think it doesn't affect us...

In your case, that's not a general "we".

> ... they are going to deliver Texas justice.

They're hanging drug addicts?