Re: Fire Alarm System Inspections. How and how much?

I didn't try to question the AHJ, just doing what is necessary to get the
building owner a CO.
If the detector on the first floor trips then the car stops at second or
alternate floor unless that is in alarm too then the door opens on place and
stops the car.
Usually there are about 6 different relay interfaces to the elevator for
different conditions that the elevator guy has available once the AHJ tells
the elevator guy what he wants the car to do. I provide that a relay changes
state on the conditions he wants.
Sometimes an AHJ can be very one way. Sometimes the less they know the more
they act like they know. Sometimes he doesn't seem to care about NFPA and
has his own ideas. If that is the case he signs of where I think he differs
from code and its his problem from then on. Sometimes that comes back and
bites the AHJ in the ass pretty hard dollar wise. Examples:
AHJ insisted that the air handlers shut down the fan motors INSTANTLY when
tripped. The air handler manufacturer said no way, head preassue has to
unload and that takes a shut down cycle of 30 to 90 seconds and provided
fire alarm interface for for that. AHJ says screw that, no instant shut down
= no CO. He put that in writing and the electricians installed a separate
fan cut off. Now it worked the way the AHJ wanted. Next there was a smoke up
in one of the units a few months later. All the air handler units shut down
instantly per AHJ, without unloading head pressure and all the air handler
units stopped working. Long story short, lawyers for every one involved made
money, and the city bought a few hundred thousand dollars worth of new air
handlers. Oh yes, the AHJ still has a job.