Re: wireless video transmission

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:34:48 -0500, "Bob Worthy"
<securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have never used wireless equipment for video. We have always been able to
>wire everything. I now have an application (RFP) that a portion of the
>system will need to be wireless. Any suggestions on equipment? It was not
>speced in the RFP. I am not afraid of cost for reliability. If cost becomes
>a concern, I walk away from the RFP. Any installation pitfalls to consider
>before I go through the proposal process? This is an exterior application
>and the furthest camera will be approx. 1/4 mile (actually a little less)
>away from the receiver. I will be able to accomplish a pretty good line of
>sight. Is a receiver capable of transfering signal to a second transmitter
>and retransmitting to a second receiver or is there a different piece of
>equipment (repeater?) for this if necessary?

As some others have mentioned the Smartsight stuff is a good choice.
It uses 802.11a secure IP transmission.  I've used it for 3/4 of a
mile on Pelco speed domes with Rs-485 for PTZ control.  There was no
converter to use Coaxitron protocol at the time I used it, but maybe
there is now.

I recommend you setup the network before installing in the feild, just
don't place the x-mitter and recivers too close together (< 50 feet)
when testing or you'll nuke 'em.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)