Re: another newbie, what to do with this Brinks alarm system?

Robert L Bass wrote:
> > I'm new here as well, and have looked for a
> > FAQ for the group and came up empty, and
> > I hope my question isn't too basic!
>
> One of the people who posts here has copied the original FAQ for the newsgroup to his private website but he doesn't represent
> anyone here.  There is no official organisation. <

As if your old FAQ page wasn't a bootleg version of information posted
by other folks here.
Stop instigating.

> > I've recently moved into a home that has a
> > Brinks alarm system installed, looks to have
> > been installed in 2004...
>
> Brinks uses a proprietary system which is not compatible with anyone else's hardware.  They lease the systems to homeowners.
> Although there have been comments to the affect that they will sell the system outright, they will not support it unless you pay the
> monthly fee.<

They don't sell the system to anyone. Someone will post information to
the contrary BUT they are sadly mistaken. If it says BRINKS on it the
owner is always BRINKS.

> > Anyway, we have all this hardware...
>
> It's mostly trash unless you pay for Brinks' service.<

Don't be shocked if BRINKS doesn't try to reclaim this.