Re: Press "1" for English

>I have never been able to get an end user to
> actually alter his or her own user codes without
> screwing something up. Altering their system?
> What ever the reason for that sounds to me
> like a receipe for creating some mighty big problems...

It really depends on the user.  Some folks are DIYers who are willing and able to master this stuff.  Others (most folks, probably)
are not.  I teach end users to install and program security systems all the time.  Some choose simple systems like the Vista-20P
because it's so easy to set up.  Others take on advanced home automation systems like the ELK-M1G.  Some DIYers I know hang out in
another newsgroup, discussing ways to design their own lighting controls.  One fellow bought a Napco P9600 from me a few years ago
and then went on to write a program called HomeSeer.  It's one of the more popular home automation platforms being sold online.

The reality is that probably 90% of all alarm users will rely on their alarm company to handle everything except arming and
disarming their systsms.  However, for a significant part of the population, there are other options.  Some day you might even want
to address that part of the marketplace.  I have and it's a very good business though like anything else it can be a challenge.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics