Re: tropical paradise

> Since first world nations can't seem to live
> without these illegal drugs, why not make
> it legal so we can collect sales tax revenue
> from it? The same with prostitution. Afterall,
> tobacco & alcohol are abused in far greater
> frequency than all the illegal drugs
> combined.

This has been debated for years.  My inclination is that legalizing
possession for personal use along with regulated sales by prescription to
confirmed addicts would do a lot to kill the illegal drug industry.
Unfortunately, there's probably nothing that can be done to reduce addiction
itself.  People are going to do drugs no matter what the government does
about it.

> I saw an interesting cable show last week.
> Japan has the highest number of "cat houses"
> per captita out of all the first world
> countries. I hear many of the employees
> even have health plans...and earn an
> average of $1500USD a week.

$1500 a week isn't much.  Call girls in NYC probably make that in an
evening.  Interestingly, while prostitution itself isn't illegal in Brazil,
there are relatively few cat houses there.  What they do have (and lots of
it) is AIDS, especially in places like Rio and Sao Paulo.  FWIW, I love
Brazil.  I think it's a great place and I really enjoy the friendly,
easy-going lifestyle there but the garotas da programa hold no interest for
me.  Besides, why go out to buy for hamburger when you have steak at home.
:^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass