Re: Ademco 50P - Unable To Disarm

Don wrote:
> Hello to All,
>
> I am suddenly unable to disarm my Ademco 50P system.  Any and all help
> appreciated.
>
> Details:
>
> - system was working fine for months.
>
> - worker with key entered building unaware the alarm had been
> activated.  When the alarm went off, he pushed the OFF (#1) button on
> the keypad.  There are seven active model 6150 keypads installed.
>
> - awakened by alarm, I entered my code then the OFF button on a
> different keypad.  I do not know whether the worker and I were punching
> buttons at the same time.
>
> - the alarm continued rather than going into DISARMED.  After several
> attempts to disarm, I successfull experimented in changing the armed
> state from AWAY to STAY and back again.  Again I do not know whether
> the worker was still pressing the OFF key.
>
> - I answered Central Station's question that all humans were okay, I
> had  them put my system into test.
>
> - I then turned the system off for varying periods of time by throwing
> the ac current switch and pulling battery connections.  I hoped this
> would somehow reset the system.  That was yesterday.
>
> - After leaving the system unpowered overnight, I just (09:30 EST)
> turned it on... then off.  The system continues to stay armed.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> TIA
>
> Don Davis

With the siren operating and all the keypads you have you've probably
exceeded the max allowable current draw from the system.  If the
equipment is a few years old, the battery may not be providing enough
extra "juice" to compensate.  I've found this on a number of takeovers
we've done recently.  The installers (while most certainly TQ'd don't
know how to perform a proper device load calculation).  My advice would
be to access the main control and disconnect the siren (these terminals
are easily identifiable by referencing the label on the inside of the
door).  Then power up the system, connect your battery and you should be
able to disarm normally.  Call your service company and have them come
out and install another power supply and a new battery.