Re: Some cautions for "Newbies"

Dammit, Frank, give it up... the S/N in this group is now beyond 50% to
the NOISE side, and your continual posts harping on Bass are the biggest
chunk of that.  This group is bordering on useless and you're not
helping matters.

Frank Olson wrote:
> Robert Bass runs an online store and is posting a good deal of HTML
> messages into the Group from his home in South America.  HTML is the
> language that web pages use.  Chances are your Newsreader doesn't
> display anything more than lines of incomprehensible text if you happen
> to click on one of his posts.  Another individual (whom also happens to
> be named "Frank" but posts as FIRETEK) provided a very clear warning
> about opening HTML documents in an open Newsgroup.  It is repeated here
> (with permission):
>
> "The inherent risk in opening an HTML document in an open, public
> Newsgroup makes posting it a fairly useless exercise.  Viruses and other
> malicious code are often transmitted in just such a manner.  For this
> very reason, Newsreaders employ default settings designed to receive
> text messages only.  Changing those settings to allow you to view the
> page as Mr. Bass intends is not recommended.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank"
>
> For those of you interested, this Group's "Originating Message" can be
> viewed here:
>
> http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/aboutasa.htm
>
> If you take some time to familiarize yourself with it, you can draw your
> own conclusions as to Mr. Bass' motivations and you'll also have a
> clearer picture as to why he's held in such contempt by many of the
> participants here.
>
> Please don't let all this stop you from asking questions, or otherwise
> "lurking" for information.  When I first started posting into the group,
> Jim (an installer from "Noo Yawk" who posts here as "Alarminex") gave me
> some very sage advice.  There are many genuine "gems" buried in all the
> "manure" you'll see around here (some of which actually gets thrown
> around as well).  Hold your nose, dodge the bigger chunks, and keep
> digging.  :-)
>
> Frank Olson
> http://www.yoursecuritysource.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0613-1, 03/29/2006
Tested on: 3/30/2006 9:52:03 AM