Re: Security system. Stand alone product

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:18:38 GMT, "June via HomeKB.com"
<no@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are considering buying a house and on our first visit we noticed it has a
> security system installed. It seems like the owners have a contract with a
> security company, but I was wondering if we can use this system as a stand
> alone product if we decide not to subscribe. Is this a possibility? I am not
> sure about the maker of the system though...

The answer depends upon which system and who put it in.  Some
companies disable the system so that no one  can use them without
paying a monitoring fee, even though the system belongs to the
homeowner.

If it's not a proprietary system like Brinks, you *may* be able
to use the whole thing as long as you can obtain the codes from
the seller.  Besides a working user code, you will want to have
the "installer code" to access the programming area so that you
can turn off reporting to the alarm company.  Most end users
won't know what that code is since most alarm companies won't
tell them.

If it's locked out to keep you from using it you may be able to
override that by replacing the master control panel -- that is,
main circuit board.  Some of these are very inexpensive.  Others
are not.  Again, the practicality of it will depend on which
model you have.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.