Re: Power Supply

This is news to me and I'm an NFPA 72 committee member.  Maybe I fell
asleep on those issues.  The language has been in NFPA 72 for a very
long time, which allows AHJ's to require central station service.  The
2007 version of NFPA 72 will retain the same allowance... "where
required ...".  AHJ's like central station service because it places
the onus and the cost to maintain a fire protection system squarely on
the property owner.  If all property owner's did the right thing, we
wouldn't be having this conversation.

The NFPA 72 language has morphed over the past 3 code cycles to the
point where 3rd party verification may be provided by anyone approved
by the AHJ.  For example, a group of retired building inspectors
applies to become an approved 3rd party verifier to conduct audits on
fire alarm installing companies.  This could be a less expensive method
that using UL or FM.

NFPA 72, like all codes and standards, is published as a model, a
suggestion, intended to be adopted at the local level through a review
process that includes ammendments, deletions, etc. to fine tune it to
the local need.  Throughout these codes and standards you'll find the
qualifying words "where required ..."