Re: Ademco Vista-15 Install Manual

RHC said:

>I did have an 832 catch fire and nearly burn a place down. The AC rectifier
>fried and overheated. When I got there, there was foul smoke everywhere, and
>as soon as I opened the can, the whole mess went up in flames.

I'm curious as to whether this panel was powered by a transformer with an
internal fuse.  It would seem to me that if the rectifier were fried, it
would be pulling enough current to blow the transformer fuse.

In any case, you've made another interesting point:  there's only a limited
amount of oxygen inside an alarm panel to support combustion, and air
circulation through the knockouts isn't likely to bring in a fresh supply.
So even if something overheats, the likelihood of a fire breaking out  of
the can seems pretty low.

- badenov