Re: Question:

> Forced out of business in Connecticut.??

They caught him operating without a license.  He would have been able to get the
license if he took the test and paid the small fee plus a hefty fine for
operating without a license.  However, Fowler does not know the state contractor
laws, has not studied NEC or NFPA72 and has almost no knowledge of basic
electronics.  These are all required knowledge to pass the CT license exam.

I know what's on the test because I held a CT contractor's license for 24 years.
In all those years I never once had a complaint filed with consumer protection.
Fowler had enough complaints to fill a suitcase, mostly related to false and
misleading advertising.  Upon investigation the state found he was operating
illegally and ordered him to stop.  Instead, he packed his own suitcase and
moved on to more fertile fields.  He has done this before.  He'll do it again as
soon as the NY state authorities catch up to him.  He doesn't have a valid
electrical contractor's license there either.

He left the state, moved to NY and set up shop there, claiming he had quit the
business because his girlfriend died.  His MO consisted of hiring a few
telemarketers to call every name in the directory offering a security system.  I
got a good laugh early one Saturday morning when one of his girls called me at
home.  When I explained that I owned an alarm company she went right on telling
me what a great system Milford had to offer.  It took several tries before I got
her to understand I wasn't interested.  Sure enough, several days later they
called again ... same spiel.

When I first told Fowler he needed a license to install in CT he said that he
was not required to be licensed because he only ran short wires.  A state
examiner told that he had stated on his application that he was a "home
improvement" contractor.  He made no mention of the fact that his "home
improvements" consisted of installing alarms because he knew that requires a
license.

I never bothered to file a complaint against him though perhaps I should have.
It might have gotten him out of there a bit earlier, saving scores of consumers
from being ripped off.  The "systems" he sold were useless junk.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.