Re: NFPA 72 test

"Mike Sokoly" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dlbWf.17$PQ5.7@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Norm Mugford wrote:
> >

> > "up till now have only "serviced" existing fire alarm equipment.
> > We have worked on many different types and are familiar with
> > most electrical configuratuions".
> >
> > "I have ordered a copy of NFPA72 and it should be here tomorrow".
> >
> > First of all, anyone who services fire alarms and doesn't have the
latest
> > edition of NFPA 72 and NFPA 101, should not be working on
> > fire alarms. NFPA 72 & 101 are the "Bibles", (also know as
> > Life Safety Standards) we have to work with, along with many other
> > requirements for fire alarms. Your local fire inspector is only trying
> > to protect the public from unknowing and unexperienced fire alarm
> > contractors. And, from your post, I suspect you're one of them.
> >
> > My recommendation is to keep to your video systems until you have the
> > knowledge and experience to properly maintain, install and service
> > fire alarm systems. It's not something you will learn overnight or in a
> > couple of weeks. The test you speak of is most likely the easy part.
> >
> > BTW...Do you have the proper amounts of insurance to work on
> > fire alarm systems?
> >
> > Norm Mugford
> > Chairman
> > Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation
> > Electrical Contractors Licensing Board
> >
>    Nuf Said Norm!
>    The individual has been "servicing" fire alarms and JUST NOW decides
> to purchase NFPA 72? Misses the Point- in addition to your suggestions
> he should have had NFPA 70, ADA, BOCA, IBC, Local Code Books, Sprinkler
> and HVAC Codes, and more. Reading well does not make you qualified. I
> suspect that he may not even know about E&O insurance-most guys I come
> across don't!
> I tell my students that it's a MINUMUM 6 months on the job before you
> even Graduate from the "PIPE& WIRE DEGREE".
> Mike Sokoly

What!!! Bass has sold *thousands* of fire alarms systems and thrives on the
thought that any primate with limited tool skills can install a fire alarm
system after a brief "how to" from his vast fire alarm experience and all
this in an hour or two over the phone. According to Bass, why would anyone
need to know so much about a fire alarm installations. He makes it sound so
simple.