Re: Quick opinion poll regarding Bass' multiple "PR" posts

Crash Gordon wrote:
> Spam is spam. I commented negatively the last time this was done. RLB is bad
> boy for doing this. An occasional "I got something to sell" might be ok, but
> posting hundreds of links to product is..welp..it's spamage.

Thank you for having the courage to stand up and say something.  Anyone
here can make their feelings and opinions known without resorting to
flames or snide comments as you have.  You all have to realize that
Robert doesn't respect anyone here.  He's civil enough if you don't
oppose his views or question him on some of his more outlandish statements.

How do you feel about his trying to control the Newsgroup with threats
of more spam if we don't "fall into line"?  Many years ago, Tom Fowler
publicly declared he would no longer flame Robert.  Many decided to
follow suit and a general truce was declared.  This was Christmas 2002.
  The truce lasted for several weeks until Robert decided to start
spamming the Group with INFO and PR posts.  He was asked then (politely)
to stop, but wouldn't.  No one was attacking or flaming him at the time
and this "truce" only served to prove two things.  It clearly
demonstrated that Robert is here to sell product on line to whomever he
can convince to purchase from him and that he views this forum as his
own personal tech-support medium.  He needs the turmoil in the Group so
that sufficient animosity is provoked to spill over into the other
Groups he participates in.  This gives him the "ammunition" to label all
of us as "anti-DIY" because attacking him in those other Groups makes it
appear we are.  It also drives away individuals that may have a genuine
interest in promoting the industry by helping people, but aren't
interested in having their skills called into question or their
businesses attacked.

You will note that he does not resort to spamming comp.home.automation
as he does this Group.  He's now stated the reason for this is me (and
my many aliases).  I feel privileged to be so singled out, particularly
since I've not attacked him once in the last few weeks by posting
anything the least bit derogatory.  I find it amusing that he criticizes
me for being the worst offender, yet has me blocked so he can't see.

I also find it ludicrous that he now accuses me of having "multiple
aliases" yet can offer no proof.  He posted a severe criticism to
someone here a few weeks ago when another individual decided to make
some unfavourable comments about Robert Campbell.

"Saying so without proof is misleading and unfair".

He's recently posted another response in which he expostulated on
"wisdom he learned in Kindergarten".  I'd like to repost this with some
observations but Robert would only view this as another flame so I
won't.  You'll notice he was very curt and abrupt with "Joe Lucia" when
he had the temerity to criticize the spam Robert's forced us to endure
in the last couple of days.  Sort of like what happened to FIRETEK only
not quite as confrontational and abusive.  I wonder if he's ever taken
the time to "view headers" for all these individuals.  The one that
posted in CHA under the alias "Robt" was using "Bell South", yet he
accuses me of being him...  I suppose it's possible.  I'm not sure if a
"Bell South" modem would work on a Shaw network.  I know a Telus DSL
modem (which FIRETEK uses) wouldn't work on a Shaw cable network.
Having had Telus' version of "high speed" and currently enjoying Shaw's,
I wouldn't switch back for all the Tea in Brazil.

I don't think it's up to us to "behave".  Robert has always been a man
unto himself and is obviously blind to the fact that he's hawking his
wares at an ISC show or walking into a room full of installers and alarm
company owners and telling them they're all "greedy, money-grabbing
assholes" (RHC, Crash, Jim Rojas, and Bob La Londe are somehow exempted
of course).  Usenet is a cheap and easy medium to do this in.  How we
respond to such flagrant abuse is equally important.  We can't have
"hotel security" remove him, but we can respond in clear, concise and
non-derogatory prose.  We can ask him for proof of his more outlandish
posts, and ensure that others in the various Groups in which he's given
a measure of respect see him for what he is.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com