Re: State licensing questions

Bob Worthy wrote:
> "Mr.Double-sided tape" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > Let's start with this for our resident Floridians Norm Mugford, Bob
> > 2Worthy, and Jim Rojas
> > In the SDM Marketplace there's a company that advertises Florida alarm
> > licenses for sale. Can one really just BUY the license? No schooling?
> > No test?
>
> Not exactly. A company needs a "qualifying agent" (license holder). A
> license holder needs a company to qualify or he/she must make their license
> inactive. When one is saying "license for sale", they are actually looking
> to put their license with a company that needs a license to operate. (They
> need a job.) The person must be an employee w/ check writing ability. They
> are personally and financially responsible for the actions of the company
> that he/she is licensing. They must oversee all field work. This license
> holder must make application to the DBPR and the process is regulated
> through the ECLB. To become licensed, there is a whole application deal,
> requiring financials, credit checks, insurances, bond, definately a test,
> proof of supervisory experience requirements, continueing education, etc.
> One cannot just go to a store and buy a license.<

So you have to show employment in order to maintain a valid license?
That's silly. What if you wanted to take a few years off to do
something other than alarms, would you then lose your license because
you're no longer employed by an alarm company?

> > Anyone have knowledge of reciprocity between States?
>
> Some may have, however, there always seems to be problems. Florida tried and
> was willing to reciprocate with other states as long as the other states had
> equal or greater licensing and educational requirements. That is where it
> would fall apart. The Board would request info on an applicant and the other
> state wouldn't cooperate. Or a Florida license holder would go to another
> state and they wouldn't reciprocate. There seems to always be a turf or
> money issue. Most states would be hard pressed to meet Florida's licensing
> and continueing education requirements.<

So reciprocity is a no go now?
Mark Leuck moves to Florida and his Texas licenses are of no use? He's
not eligible for a Florida license without having to go through the
entire process?
The guy put the Ah in alarms and now he's relegated to Bass status?
(ASA Rule #398 requires every post of mine to have a Bass reference)

LeuckHomeElectronics.com and LeuckBurglarAlarms.com just doesn't have
that catchy ring to it. He's gonna be homeless if he moves there. MARK
!!!!!! Stay away from Florida!

> > Are the Level I through IV certificates valid in every state?
>
> No <

What is valid then?

> > For Everyone else:
> > What are bottom line requirements in your state?
> > Schooling? yes? No? How many hours?
> > Testing? etc.
> >
> > IMO we need either national licensing
>
> Feds aren't going to get into the local licensing business.
>
> >or reciprocity between all
> > states.
>
> What about the states that don't have licensing laws now? Are those
> companies simply going to be able to go to a neighboring state and work
> because their home state doesn't require a  license?
>
> > Thank GOD driver's licenses are not treated in the same manner as alarm
> > licenses.
>
> Come to Florida and say that. A little old lady that stands about 4 foot 3
> inches, and has used the subway or bus her entire life retires to Florida
> when she is 80 and the first thing she does is go out a buys a Grand
> Marquis. You would swear to God that there is no one in the front seat when
> you see that car going down the road, even though it is only doing about 18
> miles an hour. <

Apparently you've never lived in NY. We have geezers piloting their
1978 Battlestar Gallactica's from a periscope and they have a
tremendous fear of the gas pedal.
Kansas dirt farmers take the cake though. They pull out in front of you
on their tractors and start wandering down the 1 lane highway.

Thanks for the answers so far, Bob. It's pretty damn interesting.