Re: Motions and power problems.

> I want to replace each of these motions with
> microwave-type sensors instead of PIR type
> as well as placing a new power source at the
> #5 track and severing the old one to remove
> the problem of voltage drop.

Why not start with just the power supply mods?  Add a second power supply as
you have said.  Split the motions into two groups.  Then watch it for a
coup0le of weeks to determine if more radical changes are needed.  This may
be enough to solve the problem.

Also, do the obvious.  Check the backup batteries.  If they are marginal and
the system goes into a battery load test you could see a few detectors
opening up at the far end.  This depends on how your particular system does
its test.  Some systems automatically disengage AC during the test.  Others
don't.

> Is there anything I'm missing here?  The biggest
> obstacle to this plan of action is the customer's
> insistance that they were working and can work
> again.  Can anyone offer something I'm not
> thinking of?  Thanks for all your help in advance.

It's possible that the customer knows the sensors are trouble prone.  Some
customers lie about pre-existing problems in hopes that you'll fix it
without charging them.  If you're certain these sensors are a problem,
explain that the may have just recently have shown up but that the improper
wiring and insufficient power supply set him up for the problem.

Best case: He decides to listen to your advice.  You make things better and
the customer is yours forever.

Worst case: He insists there's nothing wrong and walks away.  OK, you lose a
customer who would likely have been a source of future headaches.  Either
way you win.  Best of luck with it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass