Re: ADT Essential Wireless Package

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:8c0b55a9546e54284916bcda1f1f1996@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Mike said:
>
> >I wonder if any company guarantees their equipment will work w/ other
> >monitoring centers?
>
> I've never been asked, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
>
> Most small to medium sized alarm companies buy off-the-shelf control
> panels, either from wholesale distributors or direct from manufacturers.
> That means systems can often be reprogrammed by other alarm companies.
> Now, there are some limitations:
>
> 1.  Alarm companies frequently lock the panel electronically during the
> term of their monitoring contract, to prevent unauthorized changes to the
> programming.  Reputable companies will unlock the panel when their
> monitoring agreement ends, if the customer owns the equipment.
>
> 2.  Not all alarm companies work on all brands of equipment.  So, changing
> companies may mean there is a limited selection of companies that are
> willing and/or able to work on the system.  This can be a problem with
some
> factory-direct control panels, since the number of dealers in a given area
> may be limited by the manufacturer.
>
> Some big companies use proprietary equipment, not because it's any better
> than off-the-shelf equipment, but just to make it difficult for other
> companies to take over their systems without spending money.  The special
> ADT versions of Ademco panels are an example.  Brink's is another.

You were fine up until the last part, contrary to popular believe that ISN'T
the reason. Given that a typical control panel circuit board cost less than
$100 then takeover prevention is absurd. If ADT wanted to lock out everyone
from takeovers they could easily download the panels and prevent ANY keypad
programming which they almost never do. Even a totally proprietary panel
like the one Brinks uses is set the way they want and makes it easy for
their customer service and technical staff to troubleshoot.

The REAL reason is for installation quality control, when you have literally
thousands of dealers each with dozens of installers it is impossible to get
everyone to program the control panels the way you want so you get the
manufacturers to make you a special panel with your defaults. If you don't
you get panels with thousands of installer codes not set for downloading
that you have to set for service if any minor programming changes are needed
(and they will be needed)