Re: ADT Essential Wireless Package

Mark Leuck said:

>The REAL reason is for installation quality control, when you have literally
>thousands of dealers each with dozens of installers it is impossible to get
>everyone to program the control panels the way you want so you get the
>manufacturers to make you a special panel with your defaults. If you don't
>you get panels with thousands of installer codes not set for downloading
>that you have to set for service if any minor programming changes are needed
>(and they will be needed)

Only that doesn't explain why the standard downloading software can't
access ADT panels.  I can understand ADT wanting standard values, but you
can load those with a template.  Downloading takes care of the quality
control issues.  You don't need to lock out the rest of the world.

I know for a fact that Radionics initially developed datalock codes
specifically at the request of their larger customers, who wanted to make
it difficult for competitors to reprogram their panels.  ADT has long been
in the proprietary equipment game.  Their direct wire equipment wasn't
compatible with anyone else's.  Their McCulloh transmitters didn't work
with industry-standard receiving equipment.  It's all about making sure
competitors had to spend money to take over an ADT account, which reduces
the likelihood of that happening.

- badenov