Re: Napco MA3000 - Dialer Test on both Lines?

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Bass said:
>
>>Ok.  Two programmable relays are set to interrupt a  24-hour test zone and
>>to short phone line 1 at the designated time.  This causes the panel to
>>report the 24-hour zone as a silent alarm, but the code/zone is configured
>>at the c-station to be viewed as a test signal.  A third relay can be
>>triggered by "general trouble" and run in series with the phone shorting
>>relay so that line 1 will not short out if the panel is currently
>>experiencing a trouble condition.
>
> That doesn't work so well either.
>
> When the relay shorts phone line 1, the panel
> doesn't know that line 1 is inoperative, therefore
> it will dial unsuccessfully on line 1 until the
> panel's programming forces it to switch to line 2.

Actually, the panel tries line 1 for a dial tone (well, actually it looks
for line voltage) only once before switching to line 2.

> But suppose line 2 is bad?

Have you forgotten what I said earlier about running a third relay to preven
shorting line 1 if there is a pre-existing trouble condition?

> More importantly, if line 2 really is
> inoperative and you short out line 1...

See above.  It really helps if you know the panel before evaluating someone
else's methods.

> I could be mistaken about this...
> but connecting your auxiliary relay to
> short out the phone line probably violates
> FCC Part 68, since that relay is not approved
> terminal equipment...

The panel itself is FCC type accepted.  The regs don't prohibit momentary
application of a relay though if it were a problem a simple change from
shorting to opening the circuit would eliminate any problems.  I've chosen
to short the line for a few seconds though the same can be accomplished by
opening it.

> Anything I've overlooked or misunderstood?

In all honesty I've not checked whether FCC would have a problem though I
also doubt they've ever checked a single fire alarm installation.  :^)  You
do bring up a valid point though.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass