Re: ESLiminated

> I have been replacing the ESL smokes with
> System sensor I3 and they have been fantastic.

Same here, Nick.  For several years I installed ESL (now GE Security)
smokes.  They'd work OK for a year or so and then start to false -- not all
of them, just more than other brands did.  After a while I switched to
System Sensor.  There were significantly fewer troubles with System Sensor.
Most of my DIY clients use System Sensor I3 series smokes and there have
been almost no returns in several years.

Notes to newbies and DIYers:  It is common trade practice to replace smoke
detectors at least every 10 years.  The average failure rate of modern smoke
detectors is ~3% per year.  Over a 10-year period that works out to roughly
25% failure which is considered the tolerance limit for life safety devices.
If a detector is causing trouble and it's more than 5 years old consider
replacing it rather than having it serviced.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics