Re: Napco Netlink

In case you haven't already noticed, GE and DSC also settled in at the
'around $200.' point so why should Napco be any different.

At first, the costs were prohibitive because most retail stores didn't have
an internet hookup and the price to get one wasn't reasonable.  Now you can
get a slow ADSL drop for around $25. and it is suitable for this however you
need a static ip at the receive end and having a static ip at the sending
end would also be a plus but you can use one of those no-ip programs on the
send point.  Nobody will give you a deal on static ip service: TW wants over
$100. a month for a static ip and SBC wants close to a $100. also - that is
total bs.

So, not only does the cost of the board need to come down the cost for
static ips' also needs to come down.  You can plug a network card into your
computer for less than $10. but to plus this network card into your alarm
panel is $200.  This is absurd.  There is no power supply - you must provide
the 12VDC.  DMP has panels for around $250. with it built-in which
translates to a $50. panel with the $200. interface.  The prices are going
to need to take a huge drop and the interface needs to be included in every
panel to bring economy into the picture.

Having said all that it does report in once every 60 seconds and if it
misses three report-in periods you get an alarm indication so it does offer
true line security for just under $200. a point.
Does anyone remember when some phone companies offered line security for
$7.-$10. per month? The SCU was around $195. way back then too.

Napco is offering the complete package with one remote unit for around $550.
and each additional point is just shy of $200. so its doesn't sound like a
bad deal at this point because the long range radios or cell units are in
the same ball park and they don't offer any security at all unless you
spring for the high-end AA monitoring from alarmnet and then they do poll
every six minutes but they get $30 bucks a month - now you can bypass them
for close to nothing.

Unlike DSC's product which forces you (or your central station) to purchase
a new co receiver, Napco doesn't make receivers so all you need is an extra
pc and the software.  Most of us already have an extra pc or two and we
already have an internet hookup.  So once you switch to a static ip you are
in business.

So, its not as bad as it may sound upfront.