Re: Reliability of glass breakage listening devices

I don't know how long ago that study was performed.  Acoustic glass break
detectors have never been 100% reliable.  They can and do add to the
security of an installation when properly installed though.

Almost all of them will false if there's a heavy thunderstorm directly
overhead.  I used glass breaks (along with full perimeter magnetic contacts
and interior motion detection)
on most of my installations for many years with relatively few problems.
That was in Connecticut.  Now I live in Florida and I'd hesitate to use them
here -- way too much lightning.

Everyone has his own preferences on makes and models.  I've had good results
with IntelliSense (Honeywell) glass breaks.  When they first came out
Sentrol's (GE Security) Shatterbox series were awful.  They would false if a
broom dropped in a neighbor's house. :^)  I haven't used these but several
friends who use them indicate the more recent ShatterPro series seem to have
overcome the early problems.  I sell both brands to DIYers online and have
not had any returns in quite some time.

Best of luck.

--

Regards,