Re: Reliability of glass breakage listening devices

Glassbreak detectors are a device that need special attention both during
the installation process and then again when/if there are any changes to the
protected area. Changes in decor, furniture, window treatments, flooring,
etc. will effect the sensitivity of the detector. What was good yesterday
may not be good today after changes were made to the area. So after changes,
the detector(s) will need to be checked for their sensitivity range. A
detector that senses both frequency and vibration is recommended and one
that has adjustable sensitivity capabilities is a must. Don't try to cover
more area than what the detector is capable of at a mid range setting. There
are range limitations and you should never take it out to the max. trying to
save money. You won't be gaining anything except false alarms. The detector
will be to sensitive, making it subject to false trips. Keep in mind that
this device hears noise and feels vibrations, so location is important.
There are simulating devices that the technician should be using when
installing these devices to calibrate the sensitivity properly. Rattling
keys or clapping hands is not the proper installation method. I have
installed literally thousands of glassbreak detectors and have had good
success with them. As with any power device, the panel battery can cause
these devices to false if there is a black/brown out and the battery is not
capable of supporting the power load on the system. Keep your battery
reliable by changing every 3 years. To answer you question more directly,
audios are fine and if installed and located properly should not be a false
alarm problem. Hope this helps. Good luck.