Re: why ground an alarm panel.

   Grounding to a water pipe is no longer acceptable.  Any
wire that connects to a pipe is for bonding - to remove
electricity from that pipe for human safety.  Once, water pipe
grounding was acceptable.  Grounding to pipes is no longer
acceptable.  Which then raises more doubts about what that
author considers acceptable - including what is and is not
acceptable lightning damage.  What was acceptable back when
one could ground to water pipes is no longer reliable today.

  Questions his numbers.  What numbers were acceptable to that
author who is also advocating what is now unacceptable
grounding to water pipes?  It also raises another question.
Do you only meet acceptable reliability standards?  Or do you
want to exceed those standards by grounding the panel?  A so
simple and inexpensive connection to ground that increases
reliability?  Some only want to meet standards.  Others exceed
them when doing so is so easy.

  Again, if one advocates grounding to water pipes, then that
advocate's integrity is suspect.  Basic human safety and code
requirement:: we no long ground to pipes.