Re: Phone Jack Locations?

> I'm curious about what the experts around here have to say about having
> the phone jack either in or on the panel.  Or, I guess, not using one at
> all.

I always installed the RJ31X inside the locked panel and gave the owner the
keys to the cabinet.  It reduces the likelihood of someone "accidentally"
disconnecting the panel.

> I'm not sure if it's a UL requirement to have it easily available, but it
> seems like a huge hole in the system's integrity.

Phone techs like to have it accessible but I never much cared what they
like.  I believe it makes the system a little more secure if the RJ31X is
not easily accessible.

> I've always been told that the jack should be outside
> so it can be unplugged by the customer if the panel
> is going psycho and keeps taking over the phone line
> for no reason.  I doubt 5% of our customers (residential
> or commercial) know about this, many don't even
> know where to find the panel.

I figure if they know where the panel is they should also be able to open it
should they need to disconnect the RJ.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass